I want my skin to look its best, is there anything I should avoid?The skin is our largest organ and we tend to be pretty hard on it. Its job is to protect us from environmental aggressors while regulating our heat sensations. It is also responsible for physical sensation – our sense of touch. This very important organ requires a certain level of TLC and as we take care of it, there are some definite no no’s to be aware of. (Pssst, all of the items mentioned in this post are 25% off through the end of the week. Shop now at http://bit.ly/1p2bU96.)
1. Skip the UV Rays! Tanning should be avoided like the plague, regardless of whether it’s outdoors or in a tanning bed. Tans are produced by harmful ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun or UV tanning lamps. If you have a tan then guess what, you’ve sustained skin cell damage. Not only do UV beds damage your skin, but they are a breeding ground for bacteria! Several studies show indoor tanners are over 70 percent more likely to develop melanoma than those who have never tanned indoors. Keep out of the sun and UV beds to keep your skin looking youthful and healthy.
Enjoy the look of beautifully bronzed skin without damaging UV rays with the MyChelle Del Sol Sunless Tanner. Natural sugars react with the skin’s surface to safely give a natural-looking “tan.” Licorice and Aloe are added to soothe, repair and hydrate for skin that stays youthfully glowing.
2. Wash away the day. The skin accumulates free radicals throughout the day, which can be damaging. By evening, we are wearing 14 hours of dirt and bacteria on our skin! One thing that can wreak havoc on our complexion is continually going to bed with a face full of day-old makeup. Not only can it clog pores and cause breakouts, but over time, it can lead to premature aging. Incorporate a good detoxifying cleanser into your nightly routine and make it a habit to wash for 90 full seconds each evening.
The Fruit Enzyme Cleanser is perfect for all skin types, including sensitive skin. This soapy, sudsy cleanser will remove surface impurities and our unique multi-fruit AHA’s will gently exfoliate, leaving you with a glowing complexion. This gentle deep-cleanser also contains the strengthening antioxidant Turmeric, which is shown to keep the skin calm and ease signs of irritation. Another ingredient, Fructooligosaccharides (from sugar) promote and protect skin’s health.
3. Hands off! Stop picking, squeezing, popping and pulling at your skin. Our hands are covered in bacteria and when you touch your face, you are placing dirt, debris and other irritants directly on and into the skin. Yuck! If you have a continuing issue with blackheads or pimples and you want to get help extracting them, call your local spa and schedule an appointment with a licensed Esthetician. These skin care experts are trained professionals who can properly extract the bacteria from the skin without causing damage.
For an at-home DIY blemish fix, try the Cranberry Mud Mask to deeply purify and calm skin where problems start. A blend of richly detoxifying Kaolin and Bentonite Clays absorb excess oil and debris from pores, while Totarol™ purifies and balances. Cranberry Extract, known as one of the “super fruits” for its high antioxidant content, helps support skin and give it a luminous glow – it is also in our White Cranberry Cleanser.
4. Don’t over exfoliate. Exfoliation is great, but too much of a good thing can also be bad. Regular exfoliation is essential to healthy, balanced skin. Cellular turnover is enhanced, helping skin to kick in its innate self-rejuvenating and repair mechanisms, allowing your skin to act younger, healthier and appear more vibrant. Over-exfoliation, however, can be damaging and cause dryness, irritation and inflammation, and in the long run, can lead to damaged capillaries and thinning skin.
Exfoliate 1-3 times per week, providing your skin a day or two off in-between each treatment. MyChelle exfoliators smooth the look of wrinkles, unclog pores, and clear the way for other products to work more effectively. Our powerhouse treatments feature Fruit Acids and Pulps for a skin brightening and cellular regenerating effect. For an easy-to-use treatment perfect for all skin types, try our Incredible Pumpkin Peel. Exfoliate and deeply nourish your skin with this award-winning formula of Pumpkin Pulp, Enzymes and Fermented Juice. Loaded with antioxidants, this fortifying peel rejuvenates and supports cellular integrity while clearing pores and aiding detoxification. Skin is left feeling incredibly soft, smooth and clean with a renewed healthy glow. Due to the highly effective nature of this peel, a patch test is recommended prior to use. Again, use only 1-3 times per week – no more!
5. No smoking zone. The last thing you should ever do is smoke. The reasons why are endless (cancer, emphysema, cardiovascular disease, etc.) but specifically talking about the skin, smoking accelerates the skin’s aging process. Next to sun exposure, smoking is the highest factor in wrinkling. So yes it’s true, smoking will make you look older. The nicotine in cigarette smoke also causes damage to the small blood vessels and capillaries of the skin. Diminishing circulation caused by smoking deprives the skin of the vital oxygen it needs to create and maintain healthy skin. Bottom line, this habit is a bad one with lasting, visible effects.
Catie Wiggy is the Director of Education for MyChelle Dermaceuticals. She has been working in the skin care industry for over 13 years as a makeup artist, brand educator, manager, innovator and licensed esthetician. She holds several certifications in esthetics and has hands-on experience with chemical peels, microdermabrasions, acne management and anti-aging treatments.