We have all been there – scraping the bottom of a jar for the very last bit of product available. Making every drop count is important, given that beauty routines can become expensive. Cosmetics, skin care, and hair care are all the things we purchase to keep our beauty routines going. Having a beauty stash is a great thing, but extending the life of your goods can help you save time and money.
Here are a few tips for conserving your skin care products and making them last longer:
- One of the biggest problems people have is over-using goods. More doesn’t necessarily mean better. With high-end products like MyChelle, a little goes a long way. Use the recommended amount listed on the packaging (dime, quarter, pea size, etc.) It’s always easier to apply more if needed but when you over-apply, it can be wasteful. For example, one of our 1oz serums should last up to 3 months when used daily. If you are unclear about how much to use, call customer service directly and ask them for guidelines on product usage; I guarantee that they will be more than happy to help. By using the right amount of product each time, you will see that your items are lasting longer and your cash is not being spent as quickly.
- Keep things stored properly, beneath tightly close lids. Limit your products’ exposure to air and try to not cross-contaminate your items. Bacteria and debris can easily become embedded in your skin care products and cosmetics, ultimately breaking them down. Follow simple practices like washing your hands before dipping into a jar, and keeping cosmetic brushes and sponges clean so you’re not transferring debris around.
- No matter what your skin type is, exfoliation is one of the best kept beauty secrets. Regular exfoliation is essential to maintaining healthy skin cells. Exfoliation treatments gently slough away the top layer of dead skin or release the intercellular glue hanging onto those dead cells, thus exposing newer and healthier skin cells. Exfoliation also unblocks pores—which in turn leaves them open and more receptive to whatever topical products (serums, lotions, etc.) you choose to apply next. So, not only does exfoliation have its own benefits, but it also makes your other skin care treatments more effective and longer lasting.
- DYI! To minimize the use of items like shampoo and conditioner, alternate between your beloved hair care items and at-home treatments like baking soda and apple cider vinegar shampoo or a coconut oil mask and conditioner. Mix half a tbsp. baking soda with 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar to make a paste. Apply to damp hair, really exfoliating the scalp. Rinse thoroughly and condition as normal. You can do this weekly to detoxify the hair while also adding volume. For a good conditioning mask, apply organic coconut oil directly to your hair, coating each strand. Leave on for 20-60 minutes (or as long as you have) and rinse thoroughly. Your hair will feel soft, silky, and hydrated. By adding in a DYI treatment, you can make your retail goods last longer.
- A great way to try new things and see what you like is by collecting samples. Sampling also helps you increase the longevity of your regular routine. When placing an order online, use the special notes/ instructions area to ask for samples. Many companies, including MyChelle, are happy to add samples for customers to try along with their purchase. You can even note what you specifically want. Asking for samples is the perfect way to try new things before making an investment, while also keeping regular beauty items on hand. Samples are great for traveling with, too!
- Know when it’s too late! Old and expired products can become less effective, grow bacteria, and (in some cases) turn into a completely different state (like luscious cream to rock-hard mess.) Products can be expensive, and throwing them out can feel like throwing money down the drain – but trust me, it’s better to toss it than to use expired products that can cause a reaction or irritation
You can maintain your beauty stash by looking for deals on gift sets, collections and special offers like Buy One, Get One Free. Any time you can purchase multiple products for the price of one or even at a reduced price, you’ve gotten a great deal. Stock up on items you use frequently, and sign up for retailer specials and promotions. Also follow your favorite brands on social media to score special offers and discounts. (Hint: MyChelle is on Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter.)
Catie Wiggy is the Director of Education for MyChelle Dermaceuticals. She has been working in the skin care industry for over 13 years as a makeup artist, brand educator, manager, innovator and licensed esthetician. She holds several certifications in esthetics and has hands-on experience with chemical peels, microdermabrasions, acne management and anti-aging treatments.