With summer in full swing, we all want a rich summer tan but we also know that sunbathing means absorbing harmful UVA/UVB rays, which isn’t ideal. Sun damage is the leading factor in aging the skin. Most of the time we associate sun damage with hyperpigmentation or sun spots, but the sun’s rays can do so much more damage than we realize. The sun also causes the collagen and elastin fibers to breakdown ultimately leading to wrinkles and sagging skin. Don’t worry! You can still achieve a natural looking, rich tan by following these simple self-tanning steps:
- Smooth the skin Go ahead and shave, scrub, buff and polish your skin. In order to get an even application with your self-tanner, you should start with prepping the skin by cleansing and exfoliating all areas you plan on applying the tanner. Exfoliating helps to slough off the dead skin cells, ultimately allowing the tanner to go on evenly without streaking or spotting. Our Fruit Enzyme Scrub is great for all areas of the face and body!
- Set some boundaries Apply a lightweight moisturizer like MyChelle”s Advanced Argan Oil or raw organic coconut oil to rougher areas of the body like elbows, knees, knuckles and feet. The skin is typically drier in these areas and can tend to attract too much color leaving you looking splotchy. Let everything dry completely before starting.
- Grab some gloves After years of experience with applying self-tanners and a few good mishaps along the way, I have discovered that disposable gloves are a self-tanning girl’s best friend. Wearing gloves helps keep your hands clean so you don’t have tanning evidence staining your skin for 7-10 days. If you forgo the gloves, just make sure to wash your hands immediately once you’ve finished applying. I recommend washing with soap first and then use a scrub to ensure there isn’t a residue of color that remains.
- Saturate in the sunless Now that your skin is prepped and ready, start applying your tanner from your toes upwards. Use a dime to nickel size amount for each section of the body and layer more as needed, spreading evenly in circular motions. Once you have covered all areas you want tanned, let it casino dry before getting dressed; usually 10 minutes is plenty of time. Wear dark clothes to prevent staining and the looser the fit, the better, as tight clothes can cause streaks.
- Keep the Glow In order to maintain your sunless tan, keep the skin regularly moisturized and reapply your tanner every 3-5 days depending on how dark you want your tan to be. For a lighter look, mix your tanner with your favorite body lotion to get a subtle looking glow.
Now that you know how to do it, consider using the MyChelle Del Sol Sunless Tanner to enjoy the look of beautifully bronzed skin without the damaging UV rays from the sun or tanning beds. Natural sugars from beets, sugar cane and other plants react safely with the skin’s surface to give a natural-looking “tan.” Licorice and Aloe are added to soothe, repair and hydrate for skin that stays youthfully glowing.
If you overdo it and look a bit like an oompa loompa, don’t worry; you can speed up the fading process by taking a quick jump in the pool. The chlorine will start to strip away and breakdown the color. You can also grab a scrub and washrag to gently exfoliate the skin and lessen the look.
Catie Wiggy is the Director of Education for MyChelle Dermaceuticals. She has been working in the skin care industry for over 13 years as a makeup artist, brand educator, manager, innovator and licensed esthetician. She holds several certifications in esthetics and has hands-on experience with chemical peels, microdermabrasions, acne management and anti-aging treatments.